The Andalucían derby will be officiated by Aragon-born Clos Gómez, who has refereed Málaga CF in 22 First Division matches, with a balance of 10 victories, five draws and seven defeats for the Malaguistas. This will be the sixth time Málaga CF visits Nuevo Los Cármenes in the elite, with previous results including a draw (0-0, last season) and four Blue and Whites’ defeats.
Sheikh Al Thani, 300 official matches
- The match between Granada CF and Málaga CF will mark the 300th official match since Sheikh Abdullah Bin Nasser Al Thani has been Club president. Out of these 300 games, 262 have been in the First Division, 26 in the Copa del Rey and 12 in the UEFA Champions League (including the playoffs).
- The first match under his presidency was a Málaga CF 1-3 Valencia CF held on 28th August 2010.
- The season where there were more official matches was in 2012/13, due to the historic participation of Málaga CF in the UEFA Champions League, with a total of 56 games played by the Blue and Whites. That same season, the team scored 84 goals in 56 matches, the second-best scoring record of the Club since 1994.
Players in common Granada CF-Málaga CF
Oti, Méndez, Zúñiga, Ricard, Manolo Herrero, Paco Esteban, Geijo, Buonanotte, Iturra, Uche, Ochoa, Recio, Juankar and Peñaranda
Coaches in common Granada CF-Málaga CF
Ismael Díaz and Joaquín Peiró
Players in common Granada CF-CD Málaga
Bachiller, Carbelo, Méndez, González, Molina, Ben Barek, Tosco, Jorge Vaquer, Serrano, Carrión, Rojas, Tello, Toni, Paquito, Antonio Álvarez, Ignacio, Onofre and Diego López
Coaches in common Granada CF-CD Málaga
Ben Barek, Jeno Kalmar, Marcel Domingo, Lelé, Carmona Ros, Paco Bru and Pasarín
(*) There were also players in both CD Malacitano and Granada CF, such as Camilo Liz
Check out the stats over time
- Granada CF always maintained a great rivalry with CD Málaga. On 23rd December 1934, the then CD Malacitano inaugurated Los Cármenes stadium in a Second Division match against Granada CF.
- In 1957, a Granada CF-CD Málaga Second Division match took place, the last of the season. CD Málaga won by 2-3 against an already promoted Granada CF. However, this defeat led to Granada’s celebration of the promotion to have a certain solemnity.
- Viberti scored CD Málaga’s only goal at Los Cármenes in the First Division, in a match held on 15th November 1970 (1-1).
The first Granada CF-Málaga CF
On 6th February 2012, the first match between Granada CF and Málaga CF took place in the First Division. The result was a 2-1 win for Granada (Rondón scored the Malaguista goal). The Blue and Whites’ coach at the time, Manuel Pellegrini, selected the following starting line-up for that game: Willy Caballero; Jesús Gámez, Demichelis, Weligton, Monreal; Cazorla, Toulalan, Maresca (Recio ’70), Buonanotte (Duda ’61); Seba Fernández (Juanmi ’79) and Rondón.