Skip to main content

A point each at the Iberoamericano (1-1)

The Blue and Whites sealed their qualification to the playoffs with the point earned in San Fernando. A goal from Alfonso Herrero in added time allowed the lads to claim a point after local player Yerai scored in the 81st minute.

Málaga CF were away to San Fernando CD on Primera Federación matchday 36 at the Estadio Iberoamericano 2010 in front of 4,086 fans, almost a thousand of whom were Malaguistas.

Sergio Pellicer opted for the following starting line-up; A. Herrero; Jokin, Moussa, Juande, Víctor García, Dani Sánchez; Manu Molina, Dani Lorenzo; Ferreiro, Dioni and Roberto. 

Equality reigned in the first 45 minutes. Both teams fought for control of the ball but failed to reach the opposing area too often.

The most notable occasion was a shot by the home side from close range inside the small area. Alfonso Herrero made an extraordinary save to break up the action to the astonishment of those present. In that same play, which occurred in the 22nd minute, Moussa was forced to be replaced by Murillo due to severe pain in his right ankle. The player, who stepped wrongly during a fall, had to be carried by his teammates to the dressing room as he couldn’t support his weight whilst walking. The 0-0 score remained at half-time.

At the start of the second half, Pellicer made two changes, bringing on Genaro and Antoñito Cordero for Manu Molina and Dani Sánchez respectively.

The match gained intensity in the second half. Both teams stepped up their transitions and made more frequent approaches to the areas.

Antoñito Cordero took a shot from the edge of the area that forced the local goalkeeper to make an exceptional save when the ball slipped into the top corner in the 55th minute. San Fernando CD responded immediately on the next play with a quick transition that led to another one-on-one. Herrero, once again, made a spectacular save to keep a clean sheet. Dioni launched a powerful shot from the front in the 59th minute that grazed the post.

The number '17' and Genaro tried again in minutes 75' and 78' respectively. Both, following a pass from Larrubia, finished from the edge of the area but ran into the goalkeeper.

However, San Fernando CD managed to take the lead in the 81st minute. Biabiany and Alfonso Herrero collided causing a rebound that Yerai Dávila took advantage of to finish at will and go 1-0 up.

Then, just before the full-time whistle, Antoñito Cordero sent a precise cross from a corner kick that was headed in by Alfonso Herrero. The goalkeeper surprised the defence by joining the attack to seal the 1-1 draw in added time. Each team went on to earn a point on the referee’s three whistles.

Photo: Javier Díaz